Tuesday, April 9, 2013

(7) 1st letter from MTC


AHH FAMILIA OLA! (Sorry I can't do accents, most portuguese words have accents, just so you know

okay I officially LOVE it here. Best week of my life. Longest for sure, but so much fun and so great. so my district is all going to Sao Paulo Leste, we are all here until further notice (the four letter word 'visa' is not allowed, were not supposed to talk think pray about it, just to enjoy being here), but I'm so glad I'm in provo. I've seen SO many friends and it's fantastic. The spirit is so strong here, I've never been so happy.

Minha companheira se chama Sister Williams (we're Sister, not Irma because the nuns are called Irma and we wanted to differentiate ourselves), and she was actually in my spanish class last year!! CRAZY. we didn't know each other that well but we recognized each other it was really fun. And our roommates are all going spanish speaking so we get to pray in spanish every night, which is a nice break haha. There are two other companhierismas in our district, Sisters Barker (we met last semester) and Jensen and Sisters Oborn and Aledo. We have five elders too, Elders Hill Shipp Bell Regher and Zimmerman. Everyone is from all over and most of the elders are turning 19, half of us girls are 19 too. SO COOL. We kind of jumped right into portuguese, but remember that sore throat I had wednesday morning? yeah...my voice was gone by 2 pm. So when we met our district I had my deep hoarse smoker voice, which turned into a whisper by thursday. Today was the first day it was all back haha. So THAT was quite the challenge, but it really helped me grow closer to the district, since everyone was praying for me and sis williams was SO sweet and would listen to my strangled whispers haha. The best part was when we were trying to teach ourselves portugues one morning and I would try to say something in the classroom, so I would raise my hand and one of the elders would be like SHHH Sis Cooper has something to say! and they would all get quiet so I could whisper haha. It was pathetic but everyone was so great. but I can sing now wooo!

So MTC life: we basically are structured 24/7 aside from prep day (free....time? what?), which still has a schedule in case we freak out and don't know what to do with ourselves (we do). Seriously I had ten minutes free after gym and literally stared at the wall for ten minutes thinking I have free time....is this real life?....not even kidding. haha. But even though our time is structured, we get to choose what we do with a lot of it. Basically all day in class:
three hours with a teacher (irma ricks and irmao read switch off)
three hour block to prepare and teach an investigator (We are teaching in English since they can't hire enough portuguese teachers haha. But it's actually really nice! we are teaching Nick for the week, it's been amazing. he really feels the spirit and he's willing to listen and read, and he's commited to baptism and all of that. sis williams and I get along really well teaching)
two hours of personal study time (our branch president challenged us all to read the book of mormon again in the six weeks we are here)
two hours of language study (which is after lunch....so we are are tired/antsy/otherwise prone to giggling...yeah. sis jensen and sis oborn had flarp and played a prank on the elders, they had NO idea. SO FUNNY. sis williams is apparently the only sister with a poker face. and we've officially earned their respect. It is nice to have some fun as a break from all of the studying. we get a lot of personal gospel study in the morning and the afternoon is mostly language so it's a little less serious. we are still reverent and respectful promise!)
the rest is additional study time, meals, devotionals, etc.
Okay food: not too bad. It's what you would expect for feeding thousands of people a day, but the wrap bar is FANTASTIC and SAVED my life. but we've had fish and stuff, it hasn't been all that bad. all you have to do is get into a rhythm and figure out how much food you need. they always have fruit and salad bars worst case, and wednesday/sunday are ice creeeeeeeeam.
The best part has definitely been getting to know everyone here. even though I was the butt of all the elder's jokes the first few days, and they said I was intimidating... but that's okay. they all say they love to hear me talk now so I guess that's a good thing. They got to ease into the whole sarcasm/witty comeback thing, so there was a nice adjustment period for them. haha. Love them though.
CONFERENCE. FANTASTIC. Loved it. Also the perfect weekend to come into the MTC since it was a lot more laid back. Loved the talks about marriage and family, annnnnnd MISSIONARIES so great. Definitely special to be here. Vocal Point came on Sunday to sing, faaaaaaabulous. Our district got together after both sessions to share what we learned, and both turned into testimony meetings, it's amazing the trust that we can have among each other because of the spirit that is here. Going to the temple together too was really special. Even though it SNOWED this morning. ridiculous. we went out to go on a run (ps gym time SAVES LIVES. not joking.) at 630 this morning and we were like OOooookay, guess we are getting COATS. we love utah. Actually it's super weird every time I see the mountains or campus and I remember oh yeah...byu is RIGHT there. crazy stuff. definitely your own little world here.
Ummm sorry I didn't bring my journal so I don't remember a lot, but then again I haven't had time to write anything in there anyway. I have an hour to email, and I can email anyone! Dear Elder is still the best way to write, but I can print emails off and write quick replies via email too. especially to all my missionary friends that will be suuuper nice. Thanks to everyone who wrote me, shoutout to Kalen and Janea LOVE YOU sending yours today. Family I sent one yesterday but I'll write another today too. Dear Elders come M-F and my entire district (okay only the elders) hate me because I get the most mail....so keep it up! haha. but seriously, letters are fantastic. Okay I better go, but I love you all, obrigada a todos eu voces amo. Eu seu que Jesus Cristo e nosso salvador e que ele VIVE :)
tchau!
sis cooper 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment